Well life hasn't been dull here at the ranch. No creative things done but I
have made a tiny bit of progress.
Molly got out of the pasture last week as Jim had left the gate unlocked.
His being gone most of the time doesn't help as he hasn't registered that in his
brain. Any way I was doing dishes when I heard him screaming for me to help.
There was Molly calmly crunching grass and Jim in a panic as every time he went
for her she ran. Sigh! I (having had to round up before had a clue) I went and
got food and then went and got Lady out with a lead. Molly is still in love with
her and seeing her started to pay a bit of attention. Still wouldn't come to me
so I headed for the small pasture jiggling food and lead Lady in leaving the
gate open sure enough Molly ambled over and into our "lair". Jim slammed the
gate and we went and opened the lower gate to the main pasture and both came
over. I just glared at Jim not believing he had done this. Alas, it can happen to
anyone.
I think it was either Mon or Tues we saddled Cody and Lady and rode around
the house three or four times. I then quit while I was having success. She still
didn't like her new bit. So we are trying another with more leverage. 6:30 AM
Thursday we saddled again and this time went down the road through the
neighbors pasture and thru the woods to her house. We spent an hour riding
around her yard and her arena. About all I could handle for the first time
really out. We headed home and I had Jim "Pony" Lady and me. (lead us on a lead
rope) I did this for safety as I didn't know how she would act. I have found
she is very interested in all around her and she wants to "move out" She wants
the lead every where we go. Cody on the other hand "plods" along. We didn't know
quite what Lady was mixed with we knew Quarter Horse but I am thinking she has
Paso Fino in her as she is a very fast walker and I have noticed about three
different jogs also a mane like one very long. I could use a plodder for sure
but maybe with more of this I will manage it. So much for being over 16 yrs old
she thinks she is 8. I am thinking she and I have a lot in common. Neither
admits or acts their age and each has "Attitude" both of us
impatient. Anyway it was a
successful ride Lady acted up and I corrected and she listened. All with out the
tranquilizer or a drink
I have to admit though
thinking about it afterward I get very apprehensive and wonder if I am "nuts"
Heck I know I am
.
So two successful attempts after two years of owning her and finding ways
to ride with my handicapped bum hip. The major thing is I got on. After three
unsuccessful attempts with another horse and her and ready to give up I feel
better.
Jim is out now fixing the electric fence before Molly figures it isn't
working. She has already had her head under it more and more in grass searching
and boy is she in for a rude awakening.
We are planning on taking the horses out into the woods between Tracy's and
our house either tonight or tomorrow AM. Hopefully soon this will be
routine...feed, coffee, then a short ride every AM and evening.
Hugs, Doreen

















No comments:
Post a Comment